Saturday, July 10, 2010

So just so you all know it was not a C its a K!...so Karibu??? maybe oh well! Anyways since i last wrote i have done office work with mama grace, and so yes i felt accomplished, so yay for that! The food thing is killing me here, when i say im not full, it really dosen't matter at all. Lets see the other morning i ate breakfast, and then went to the office with mama, and then when we got there, there was a plate sitting for me on the desk!...So me and my quick thinking, i put this "roll" in my purse, i put the nuts in the trash can, and threw the watermelon peices out the window...and i sucked it up and drank a gulp of the tea! You know the term..."dont throw your food away because there are starving kids in Africa." Lies, it all a lie!...i have never eaten this much ever.
I did get a chance to go to the orphanage....it was much different than i had expected. First of all its hard to get to connect with kids when you dont speak the same language, so I had to work around that. At first i was frustrated, and then we started doing things that didnt involve much talking, like songs, patty cake, and card games. These kids just wanted someone to love on them, thats all! so i think i may have succeded.
There is no concept of time here, you say lets meet at 12:00 and then three hours later, you leave....its horrible, something that i need to try and grasp. Another thing i have noticed is the whole TOMS thing....you buy a pair and they send one to Africa.....thats a lie too! i have yet to see one pair of TOMS. Very dissapointing for sure, so think again before you buy a pair of Toms!
Anyways God is doing work here for sure, i just need to patient, so pray for Patience if you get a chance!
Ahh thought of one more thing:
Have you ever sat in a conversation and you had no earthly idea what was going on??? yeah that would be me like 99% of the day! i guess i have come to terms with it now...Every once in a while you will hear BRITIAN..and then i know that they are talking to me! I can honeslty say that i am getting better, i now can understand when people say how are you, im fine, whats your name, and then thank you, and bye! So i may be able to full you for a second that i can speak swahili....okay maybe not! I got called a VERY white girl yesterday. haha so yeah....pray for my swahili...we all know how spanish went...yeah not so good! so this may be more difficult than i thought!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Brittany, You SO made me laugh at this ridunculous time of morning. May God truly bless you and Mama Grace and bless others through you. He has indeed given you the gift of smiles & laughter! Keep singing... ms g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. It lets us all know how to be praying for you. I know it is a bit different at this point than your expectations but it sounds like you are doing good with it. A true servants heart is the best way to have a great overall experience. We can't wait to see you. Love you so much! Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cuppycake!
    I love your updates, kinda sad about the whole TOMS thing becuase i bought a pair today! but as far as the orphanage thing...your right! connecting to kids is hard when you cant speak to them, but i will tell you this you show you love them and there will always be a special bond! your updates make me so happy! i love you sweet girl and I just heard about all the airport scares and I am so so so proud of you! you are awesome britt! praying for you and Ill have you know this week at vbs for missions we are raising money and praying for missionaries in TANZANIA of all places so you will be prayed for A Lot this week! keep strong girl :) love you! If you get a chance to skype, i would love to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brit! I am loving your blogs-they just need to be daily though because having been to Africa a couple of times I can so relate and laugh hysterically! I can't tell you how proud I am of you the way you handled the whole airport thing-that was a total God thing because any single, young , beautiful blonde traveling in Africa alone only to find she went to the wrong line, lost her luggage and four hours later as the airport was closing finally got through to someone would have curled up and wept uncontrollably! You did great!
    As for the time, we should have warned you about that-no concept of time whatsoever. And, in respect to the cars not slowing down for people-they don't slow down for other cars either, or bikes, or anything else except cattle. They would just as soon ram you out of the way than honk their horn at you-it's a driving man's dream!
    Be careful what you pray for girl! Patience is a wonderful thing to have, but if you pray for it you do realize He's not just going to grant it to you don't you??? He's gonna put you in instances to test your faith so that it can grow. Last tip for today: They have meat pies that are triangular in shape called samosas and they taste very similar to Krystal Hamburgers. They are one of my favorite things to eat-beware of the lukewarm or cooled off ones-trust me! Don't eat them or you will have a permanent resident in your body that you'd rather not live there! I love you and miss you very much, but I am very very proud of you. Praying for you daily and your family will be there soon-yay!
    Have a great day! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Brittany!! I'm laughing and crying when I read this! I am so proud of you - that's the crying part - I know you are surprised! I love these stories - I can't believe you are hiding and throwing food away - that is hilarious!! Your beautiful smile and sweet spirit are the only language you need. Those folks and kids are immediately blessed by your presence - I am Sure!! I am so proud of you...and now I'm starting to cry again thinking about Jonathan - I am so glad he is coming to join you tomorrow...scary scary stuff! I am so thankful that our God can watch over y'all all the way over in Afica. What an awesome God we serve! I love you to pieces Brittany! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me smile Brittany Lenning...I love you! Mama Gina :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittany Lenning you make me smile : )We are praying for you and so excited about all that you are doing and how God is using you!

    ReplyDelete